This English revival was built in 1922 for $40,000 by John
Stockwell, a founder of the Home Company, now the Essex House.
In 1932 the home was sold to stone quarry operator Robert and his
wife Glenna Hayne. They sold to real estate agents Adam and Virgil
Gaines in 1939. Howard and Ruth Grabil lived here from 1942-1946,
selling to Louise and C.F. Crain. He was with the A.L. Garber
Company. Edna Castor, and Sam and Virginia Donley bought the
home in 1959 and in 1990 their daughter, Dotty, and son-in-law, Bud,
became the current owners.
A wren house is built into the roof peak above the exterior
stucco arched entrance. A welcoming cartoon tile, perpendicular to
the front door, faces approaching guests. The tile was designed by Hal Donahey, editorial cartoonist from the Cleveland Plain Dealer from 1900 to 1945, and brother of Vic, three term Ohio governor. The bird tile on the floor is a reproduction of a 1213 AD English Abbey tile, and is also seen in the wall sconces in the living room and screened in porch. Westminster chimes strike when the doorbell is rung. The front steps, as well as the hand hewed beams throughout the home were recycled from a Hayesville church. The wide Dutch front door opens into the great room.
All of the painted first floor woodwork, stucco walls and cathedral ceiling are antiqued and original, as are the oak floors, the 10 foot curtains framing the leaded glass windows, and fixtures. A wood beamed inglenook frames the working fireplace, which has its original gas starter, and a large basement reservoir for ashes. Another signed comical Donahey tile is to the right of the fireplace. The green door beside the fireplace is a dumbwaiter, bringing firewood up from the basement.
The stained glass window in the dining room was created from fragments of a shattered Rheim Cathedral window in France. During WWI, an American pilot sorted through the ruble of the bombed Cathedral and brought these fragments back to his home in Cleveland.
The original kitchen had a dishwasher and an incinerator! Trash was thrown into the incinerator chute in the cupboard beside the back door. The chimney beside the kitchen door was the incinerator’s flue.
The upstairs family room off the balcony was originally a third bedroom. There are two doors entering the bedroom. One can be seen from the Great room. The other is hidden from view, and could be used by an occupant who did not wish to be seen by people in the Great room. The heat bulbs in the built in bathroom heater are original and functional.