This house, now located at 16 Vernon Avenue, is known as the Stearns House but Tom O. Stearns never lived at that address. The 1917 city directory lists this house as being at 1003 Center Street on the northeast corner of Center and Vernon Avenues. Mr. Stearns was associated with the Reliable Match Company and also was vice president of the Ashland Bank and Savings Company.
Edna Stearns remained in the home in the 1950s following the death of her husband. By 1959, there was no 1003 Center Street listed. However, there was the new address at 16 Vernon Avenue. Research proved the Stearns’ house was moved around the corner.
Frank Craine was living in the house that John Stockwell built in 1922. Its address is 933 Center Street and set far back from the road. Craine didn’t like looking at the Stearns house. To get a better view, he bought the house when it came up on the market and had it moved. It was relocated in 1951.
1961, the Rev. And Mrs. Ray Klingensmith moved into the Vernon Avenue home and remained there until their deaths. Don and Colista Malone bought the corner lot later and built the house on Vernon seen there today.
The home was sold in 1995 to the Ashland Hospital Association.