In general, the house has an early Gothic Revival character with a central pointed arch, recessed wings and a bracketed and denticulated cornice.
An 1874 Ashland map shows a lot on the east side of Center Street that is owned by Frank Slocum. He was the son of Eli Slocum, who quite possibly passed the property down to his son prior to 1874. The map shows a house on the lot that, because of its architectural type, is believe to be the same house that is there today. It is surrounded by farmland.
About 1882, Slocum sold to John Ferrell, who had an apple orchard in the area where the street is today that bears his name. The street is so narrow it could have been a lane through the orchard. The Ferrells had two daughters, Mary and Eva. Mary married Harry Winbigler and lived in the house where she grew up for the rest of her life. City directories list harry as a traveling salesman. Mrs. Winbigler once taught at Nelson 1-room school on Wells Road in Milton Township.