The Ashland Press reported that on February 29, 1900, Mr.
and Mrs. Joseph Patterson moved into their new home at 427 Center
Street. The house was built by Shearer-Kagey and Company and the
inside was completed by David Stark.
At the time, Patterson was a cashier at the Frist National Bank.
In 1914, he became the vice president, and in 1923, the president. In
fact, he began his banking career in 1861 when as a 17 year old youth,
he served as a clerk for Luther Crall and Company, the firm which
evolved into the First National Bank.
When he died, in 1933, he was believed to have been the
oldest banker in point of service, 72 years, of anyone in the banking business in the country.
He was the oldest of 10 children of Mr. and Mrs. John Patterson, who were among the Scottish settlement that came to Savannah in 1837. His father was an ardent worker for the abolition of slavery and often harbored runaway slaves in his home.
In 1886, the marriage of Joseph Patterson and Emma Kellogg, daughter of Sage and Sarah Kellogg united two pioneer Ashland County families. Kellogg settled in Ashland before 1825 and was the first school teacher at Crouse school.
Mrs. Patterson was a talented musician having studied in Cleveland and Boston. She had been a soprano soloist with a Cleveland choir and one in Hamilton, Ontario, and have given vocal lessons in Nashville, Tennessee. After her marriage, she continued giving lessons here and was an organizer of the Ashland Musical Club. She was also a charter member of the Friday club, (Ashland’s oldest social organization) and chairman of the Red Cross during World War I. She headed a group of women who provide linens for Samaritan Hospital.
Like her husband, who was a trustee of the Presbyterian church for 30 years, she was also active and served as treasurer of the Ladies Aid for 40 years. The Pattersons spent summer vacations at Squirrel Inn in the Catskills where he pursed his favorite sport, fishing. Mrs. Patterson died in 1930.
Mr. and Mrs. C.D. Hoppes bought the house furnished in 1936. The late Mr. Hoppes was department superintendent at the Faultless Rubber Company and was later associated with the National Latex Company.
Mrs. Hoppes, the former Margaret NcNabb, was also a find soprano soloist who sag at many public events. Her father, Col. E.S. McNabb, was an outstanding local auctioneer who also worked at the Chicago stockyards, in Cleveland and Decatur, Illinois.
Mrs. Hoppes moved to College Avenue, and recalled that when they bought the home on Center Street it was filled with rocking chairs. Some of the spindles from the original front porch before the Pattersons had it enclosed, were still in the basement. The woodwork in the north parlor and the master bedroom is cherry, and the rest of the woodwork throughout the house is quarter sawn oak except for the woodwork in the maid’s room which is pine.
Evidence that the Pattersons had a maid was the bell near the leg of the dining room table, which would be stepped upon to summon the maid. A small table in the kitchen was probably where she took her meals.
The open front stairway leads off the center hall and is located behind the south sitting room. Upstairs are four bedrooms, the bath, the back stairway and closets. The third floor is finished.
The Hoppes family lived in the home 45 years during which time they remodeled the bathroom and the kitchen area, adding a lavatory.
It is currently owned by the Capen Family.