In 1885, A. O. Long built this home for Dr. McClellan and his
family which included his wife Ester and daughters Jean and Marcia.
After Wilson and Ester divorced in 1917, J. L. Clark purchased the
home from Ester McClellan on July 25, 1919.
In 1925 H. Marshall Clark, son of J.L. Clark, and his family
lived in this home, performing much of the remodeling seen today.
Donald, Marshall’s brother, and wife Billie moved into the home in
1933 and raised their four children Connie, Bill, Steve and Ann. In
1945 they purchased the home from the estate of J.L. Clark. Upon
Billie’s death on July 28, 1994, the home was willed to Trinity
Lutheran Church. During the Church’s possession of the home, the
Ashland Free Press resided in the structure along with periodic renters. On November 30, 1999, the home was sold to The Good Shepherd. On August 6, 2001, The Good Shepherd made the house available, free of charge, to the first person or group willing to commit in writing to move it to a new location. The proposals were to be received by September 27, 2001. The move was to be completed by December 31, 2001, with all costs the responsibility of the new owner.
On December 10, 2001, the home was given by a “Declaration of Gift” to Rodney and Ann Mohr and their two children Katherine and Benjamin. By February 14, 2002, the 150 ton home was ready to move from its original location of 608 Center Street to its new location at 513 Center Street.
Amish-built double front doors with etched glass panels grace the wraparound front porch. The Mohrs found old shutters tucked away in the attic, which have been installed into the dining room and living room. Also stained glass windows were found in the attic. One of the windows can be seen on the staircase landing and another in the library. The cherry fireplace mantle with antique green and white tile is the focal point of the living room.
Rodney and Ann Mohr later found Wolffhouse Art Papers in Mt. Vernon, Ohio, to replicate wallpaper found in the home during the McClellan period. The paper was hung by Jim Yates, who specializes in installing historic paper and is known for hanging paper in the Blue Room at the White House.