Betty Halliwell Linn provided a photograph of the home of
her maternal grandparents, Judge and Mrs. Benjamin W. McCray to
Betty Plank for her Historic Ashland article in the Ashland Times
It was located at the corner of Center and Walnut streets and
was razed in 1912 when the P.A. Myers home at 508 Center Street,
now part of Trinity Lutheran church, was built. A picture of the
Kunkel/McCray home and the architect’s drawing of the Myers home
appear in Will Duff’s 1915 Centennial book.
A native of Wooster, McCray began his law practice here in
1897. He served 16 years as police judge and justice of the peace and
another 16 years as the county probate judge.
During the Spanish-American War, he served in Cuba as a second lieutenant and helped to organize the local Company E.
He was one of five in Ohio who with “Daddy Allen” started a movement to give aid to crippled children, a service which the Rotary clubs continued to do.
The McCrays purchased the home from Christian and Margaret Kunkel, who had it built during the 1870s. Kunkel was a partner with Good in a dry goods company in a building which was later the Preis store on the northwest corner of Center and Main streets. It was destroy by fire September 24, 1962.