Architect Vernon Redding designed this historic house built in 1901 for George Randolph Freer who, like his father Randolph Freer, was a banker. At 18 he went to work as a clerk in The Farmers’ Bank of Ashland, the institution that his father and uncle organized in 1874 and soon became one of Ashland’s financial leaders.
George Freer married Myrtilla Brown in 1895. They had two children, Raymond Brown Freer and George Gaylord Freer, both of whom were born prior to the building of 841 Center Street. George Gaylord Freer must have enjoyed this neighborhood so much, he moved just three houses south to 903 Center Street to raise his family. The home is currently owned by James and Christine Johnston.