This home was pictured in the 1915 centennial booklet.
The large brick home on the southeast corner of Grant and West
Walnut Streets was the home of George Denton and Jennie B.
(nee Heichel) Myers. Built in 1896, it would appear to suggest
they had a large family. However, they had no children but
probably had a live-in housekeeper.
G. D. and his brother Alvah Newton Myers were in the
Union Hardware and Supply business before they joined their
older brothers in the F.E. Myers and Bro. Company. The
hardware then passed to the Heichel family, G.D.’s in-laws.
Mrs. Myers died in 1929 and her husband, in 1943. The home was sold in 1944 to Paul D. and Jessie C. Harwood, who lived there until 1956. He was a scientist with the Hess and Clark Company, and Mrs. Harwood was identified with Ashland College. The next owners were Gerald and Virginia MacKellar. A history professor at Ashland College, MacKellar was a charter member of the Ashland County Historical Society board when it reorganized in 1969. The home remained in the MacKellar family until 1997. Thus from the time it was built, it had only three owners in 100 years.
From 1997 to 2008, it passed through four owners, with Larry and Debbie Eden purchasing it in 2008.
The home retains almost all of it’s original features, including woodwork, light fixtures, mantles, and flooring. The original blueprints are still with the home.