If you were to say that it was the home to two generations of the
Freer family or the Moores or the Milligans, you would have been right.
Each of these families had lived here for 20 years or more and loved
Built in 1903 by Charles W. Freer, the house reflected the solid
workmanship and fine finishing touches of the woodwork, as well as the
wrap-around porch that were typical of the period.
Upon entering the large entry hall, one is attracted to the stairway railing with its intricately carved spindles. The wall paper in the parlor to the right is believed to be the original with the house.
Next to it is the living room. Here, and throughout the house, are found the elaborate window treatments in keeping with the late Victorian period of the house.
Two outstanding features of the dining room are the chandelier and the mirror. The multiple glass shades on the chandelier are reminiscent of the gaslight period. The tall mirror which rises from a base with a marble top to the ceiling is said to be a wedding gift to the Freer couple who built the home in 1903.
A cozy breakfast nook overlooks a well landscaped back yard. When Charles W. Freer built the house and his brother, George, built the one just north of it a year earlier, they also erected large carriage houses out back. Behind these was the rest of the acreage they bought, which later was sold and became Freer Court.
Returning to the upstairs of thehome, we find opposite the top of the stairs is the master bedroom which together with all other bedrooms lead off the wide hallway. In addition to the guest room, another is reserved for visits from Tucson from their granddaughter. The couple have two adult children.
One of the upstairs rooms is reported to have been the room where the men retired to have their cigars after dinner.
An interesting event took place in this home, as reported in the wedding account in the Ashland Press of June 8, 1905.
"The social event of the season was the marriage of Minnie Freer to Roscoe Woodyard of Muncie, Ind. The wedding was held at the home of her uncle, George R. Freer (831 Center St.). The house was a veritable beauty bower with its decorations of white flowers, palms, ferns and foliage. A canopy connected the home with that of another uncle, Charles W. Freer (847 Center St.) where the wedding breakfast was served. The broad veranda was converted into an outdoor parlor with a rug on the floor and flowers on the tables. The dining room was occupied by young friends. Extending from the chandelier to each of the five tables were ropes of smilax. A string orchestra stationed in the reception hall discoursed sweet music during the serving."
Minnie was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Freer, another brother whose home was one that was razed years later when the Trinity Lutheran Church was built.
There had been a slight fire in this home and because of a lingering odor, the other two brothers stepped in to open their homes. Because she wanted to please each of them, she arranged to use both houses.