An excellent example of Eastlake style architecture with its ornate room trim, 309 Center Street was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. A quick title search of the property indicates a house/structure possibly back to the 1840's or before. The first property title transfer on record for 309 Center Street dates to 1847 when Joseph Wasson, Trustee, sold to Abraham Myers for $500. Abraham and Nancy Myers held the title for almost a decade and sold to George Hoke for $500, 1856. By 1859 George Hoke by guardian sold the land to L. J. Sprengle for $250.50. At the time the Civil War was ending in 1865, L.J. Sprengle sold the property to James McG. Patterson for $500. James McG. Patterson and his wife Rebecca sold the land to Eliza Carter for 2,500.00 in 1876. Eliza Carter was the wife of Daniel Carter, Jr., and was a daughter of Elias Slocum, a member of the Carter family being one of the first, if not the first, settlers of Montgomery Township. The 1874 Ashland City Map shows a house there in the name of "Patterson". With the increase in sales price in 1876, it is clear that the Patterson family made property improvements possibly improving or building a house during their stewardship of the land. It appears that the original lot may have been split because Robert M. Campbell as Executor as the trustee of the Estate of W. M. Patterson sold the property to W. A. Beer, $2,000.00, 1887.
The Beer Home had no mention made by Mary Brinton Tubbs in her Center Street memoirs of the 1880s, therefore it is estimated that the Eastlake style Victorian was built or moved in the 1890s. William Anderson Beer transferred the family home to Lucetia Beer, his wife, in 1899. Mr. Beer, a State Representative, lived here at the turn of the century with his wife Lucretia C Grimes Beer and their children. This is documented through the 1900-1930 census records as well as city directories. William Anderson Beer served for three years in the Union Army during the Civil War and was awarded the rank of Captain. Enlisted as a 1st Lieutenant in Company K, 102nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry, on July 29, 1862 at the age of 29. He was promoted to Captain and Commanding Officer of Company B, 102nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry, on November 26, 1864. He mustered out of service on the 30th June 1865 in Nashville, Tennessee. He passed away in 1920. After William Anderson Beer passed away, their son Charles Milton Beer and his wife, Emma C. Myers Beer, moved into the Beer home.
Charles Milton Beer was born in Ashland, Ohio on October 7, 1872. Charles married Emma C. Myers. He passed away on January 26, 1947 in Ashland, Ohio. Emma C. Myers was born in Ashland, Ohio on September 14, 1873 to Benjamin Myers and Samantha Cowan. She passed away on February 25, 1956 in Ashland, Ohio. Emma grew up across the street in 312 Center Street. Emma's mother, Samantha Cowan, grew up in 414 Center Street, what is now the Ashland County Historical Society's museum. The Charles Beer Home is tied into the history of the other homes and families who built Center Street and made it the textbook of architectural styles it is. Prior to moving to 309 Center Street, Charles and Emma Beer lived with her father.
In 1932, Lucretia Beer deaded and the property was deeded to her two sons, Charles M. and Ralph Q. Beer. Ralph Q. Beer sold his share of the homestead to his brother snd sister-in-law, Charles M. and Emma Beer for 2,500.00 in 1941. Following the death of Charles in 1947, the property title was given to his wife, Emma. When Emma passed, the house was transferred to Betty Everett in 1957. Sometime between 1957 and 1986, the historic home at 309 Center Street was sold to Harold V. Marley for $17,500. Harold V. Marley sold the house to a Shin for $62,500 in 1986. This Nationally Registered historic property was the only framed home its style in the Center Street Historic District. The home was torn down by Seth Gasche of Dembow-Gasche Funeral Home.